What Is A Signal Booster/Repeater?
A cell phone booster works by receiving weak signal, boosting it, and then rebroadcasting it inside your area in need.
Most signal boosters are a three-parts system:
- The Outside Antenna to capture weak cell signal.
- The Amplifier to boost the weak signal.
- The Inside Antenna to rebroadcast the enhanced signal inside your home or car.
The amplifier (also known as cellular repeater) is the second major component of a cell signal booster. Once poor signal is pulled in from the outside antenna, it is sent to the amplifier for boosting.
Depending on the quality of your outside signal and the type of amplifier purchased, most home amplifiers range from 500 to 7,000 sq ft of coverage.
All amplifiers are measured by dB (decibel) output. In short, cellular frequency are radio waves that operate within a certain standard in the radio spectrum.
For cell phone signal, that signal level is -50 dB to -120 dB. In “bar” talk, -50 dB is full bars and -120 dB is a dead zone. What an amplifier does is potentially increase your dB reading closer to -50 dB.
To find out how to read dB on your phone, check out our guide on finding the best way to read signal strength on your phone.
A good home amplifier should have at least +60 dB gain. The most powerful units top out at +70 dB gain. A good car amplifier should have at least +25 dB with the best units topping out at +50 dB.
It’s important to note that the amplifier can boost signal up to its dB value, but does not guarantee an instant boost to that dB number. Because many factors are involved such as distance from the cell tower, outside interference, inside interference, building material, etc. which can affect results.
Hence why it’s very important to find your dB reading first and talking to a certified signal boost expert to get desired and realistic results.
The outside antenna is the first major component of a cell phone booster.
Usually mounted high on the roof or fascia of the house, it pulls in the weak 3G & 4G LTE signal.
The inside antenna is the third major component of a cell booster.
Once signal is boosted from the amplifier, it is passed onto the inside antenna to rebroadcast the signal to your area in need.
Is the repeater useful for me?
you need to use your to test the signal quality outside your house.
If you see 4G/LTE,3G,H,H+,G,E sign on outside , then you can use signal repeater to boost the signal inside your home/business.
A booster can only boost signal if there is some signal available outside. If there is no signal available test for signal again, up as high as possible , like on your roof.
If you can see 2 signal bars or more, a GSM booster the same for you.
* As per Local UAE authorities trading signal boosters in UAE is not permitted.
- With “enough” poor 3G & 4G signal, cell phone boosters can absolutely rock.
- Basically ends dropped calls, poor call quality, slow text messages, sluggish internet, and poor reception.
- One-time purchase, no monthly fees.
- Standard two-to-three-year warranty on most signal boosters from reputable manufacturers.
- Lifetime tech support.
- Installation takes a certain level of handiness, not much but some.
- If you live in a near dead-zone, you might have to compensate for it with a more powerful & expensive model.